Too much social media angst. Instead thinking about money, pensions, shares…you know, really positive thinking 🙂
A quiet weekend so treated myself:
Batman Begins – Well made with great performances. A new darker Batman.
The Dark Knight – The best bad guy performance in a superhero film. Ledger lifts this and alongside a great story and some strong performances this still feels fresh despite it being 10 years old.
The Dark Knight Rises – Good but not great, the overall film just doesn’t land and despite the ball of rage that is Tom Hardy it doesn’t match The Dark Knight.
Watched them all in 4K and HDR. Batman Begins looked OK but the other two really shone especially the sections shot in IMAX format. There’s also an obvious difference between a 4K Blu-ray and 4K streaming. Tried some scenes on iTunes which was also 4K and HDR and the difference was notable.
End of another great sporting event in Glasgow. This one was a wee bit different in that the time trial passed my street. The speed these top cyclists can reach is impressive.
Deadpool 2 – more of the same and pretty average.
Succession – off to a really strong start.
No Mans Sky – still enjoying. Updates have delivered a much better game.
- I was humiliated on TalkRadio for talking about my rapeWhy does (did hopefully) he still have a platform?
- The Bullshit Web — Pixel Envy
My home computer in 1998 had a 56K modem connected to our telephone line; we were allowed a maximum of thirty minutes of computer usage a day, because my parents — quite reasonably — did not want to have their telephone shut off for an evening at a time. I remember webpages loading slowly: ten […]
Loved this. So much of the web feels broken.
- Here’s How America Uses Its Land
The 48 contiguous states alone are a 1.9 billion-acre jigsaw puzzle of cities, farms, forests and pastures.
Love a visualisation
- Magic Leap One Creator Edition preview: a flawed glimpse of mixed reality’s amazing potential – The Verge
We tried the $2,295 Magic Leap One Creator Edition, the debut product from mixed reality startup Magic Leap — and found an ambitious vision facing serious technological challenges.
All that hype. Also reads that the marketing team were putting out bullshots that the techies knew they couldn’t deliver. Shocker.
- Scorching Summer in Europe Signals Long-Term Climate Changes – The New York TimesExtreme weather around the whole world…what happens when it’s no longer extreme?
- Will Climate Change Remake Human Biology? – Future Human – Medium
In 1977, a nuclear power plant in Forsmark, Sweden, began pumping cooling effluent from its reactors into “Biotest Lake,” a manmade, 84-hectare enclosed body of water jutting out from the Baltic Sea…
Somethings got to change over the years as the climate shifts
- Edinburgh Fringe Festival 2018 best jokes: 25 of the top gags from the Fringe | London Evening Standard
The city of Edinburgh has been beset with a case of the stitches for the rest of the month, thanks to the return of the Edinburgh Fringe Festival. Throughout August, some of the world’s best comedic talent will be trying their best to tickle the funny bones of slightly hungover audiences.
We all need a lift
- Inside Twitter’s Struggle Over What Gets Banned – The New York Times18 folk in a room and they can’t make a decision. Madness. People are leaving due to their indecision.
- ‘It’s our time to serve the Motherland’: How Russia’s war in Georgia sparked Moscow’s modern-day recruitment of criminal hackers — MeduzaModern wars are so different
- It’s not just you, everything looks the same on Instagram — QuartzyHard not to fall into this trap. Sunrises, sunsets, reflections, long exposures. Still enjoy the process and getting out and about though and I find so many locations and shots from seeing what others do.
Weather finally broke and while it’s been great to have a proper summer I loved having a bit of cooler, fresher and wetter weather again. One thing though – why couldn’t it have waited just one more day so I could have shot the blood moon. Bastard weather.
Mission Impossible Fallout – best of the series and a cracking summer blockbuster. It’s a Tom Cruise vehicle but the supporting cast really do well to. Henry Cavill stood out not just cause he’s bloody huge but I can see him being the next big action star. Kudos to Laing Yang who really needs his own film to truly shine but biggest props to Christopher McQuarrie and the stunt team. The action was top notch and the set piece’s coupled with some great locations outdid the best of Bond.
No Mans Sky – Another great update adding multiplayer, better graphics, more missions….and much much more. I might have just bought this for the Xbox.
Impressed yet again with Apple support. Fixing my iPad screen which has a small brightness issue and couldn’t do enough to make sure I was satisfied with the fix.
Darkest Hour – loved it. Oldman was really good.