Weather has turned and I’ve got the next 10 days off. Woo hoo. The break will be good though no matter what the weather has in store.
The Mighty Redcar – loving this. Great documentary – Redcar reminds me of Barrow. The soundtrack is also one of the best I’ve heard in years. Grab it on Apple Music or Spotify.
Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom – Formulaic and predictable. Yawn.
- Racism, the New Right and Media Failure – Bella CaledoniaThis is bang on – why Bannon is so dangerous.
- Amazon delivery drivers reveal claims of disturbing work conditions – Business InsiderAmazon have a lot to answer for.
- How Apple Watch saved my life | ZDNetEven a handful of stories like this show how important these devices are going to be as they get smarter.
- Daring Fireball: Thoughts and Observations on Apple’s iPhone XS/XR and Series 4 Apple Watch Introductory EventGood summary of what was and wasn’t shown by Apple this week.
- Exclusive: Apple designer Jony Ive on the new iPhone and Apple Watch – The Washington Post
The watch was the star this week.
- Apple engineer Ken Kocienda on what it was like to design the original iPhone — QuartzAuthor of a great new book on how the original iPhone, and Apple, approached design and development.
- Making useful three-dimensional mapsSo smart.
- The map we need if we want to think about how global living conditions are changing – Our World in DataAnother great visualisation.
- Why the world is full of buttons that don’t work – CNN StyleDoor closing buttons in lifts are all fake – don’t care what anyone says.
- How the Weather Channel Made That Insane Hurricane Florence Storm Surge Animation | WIREDWow. All done with a gaming engine too.