Still not sure what to do with these posts, so here’s a bumper one that has a few weeks worth of links.
Leave No Trace – loved this, one of best films I’ve watched in a while
BlacKKKlansman – great story but found the film didn’t know what it was in places
First Man – well made and great acting
Widows – good film, fell a little towards the end
- Deepfakes and the New Disinformation WarThese are getting too realistic.
- Jennifer Buscemi: Deepfakes Are More Terrifying Than EverI mean, look at this. Uncomfortable watching. How long before people believe they are watching politicians – look how much fake news gets shared but the apologies never do.
- Group B – The Age of the Supercar – YouTubeProper rallying.
- Police stop people for covering their faces from facial recognition camera then fine man £90 after he protested | The IndependentWTF?!? Going too far.
- Why CAPTCHAs have gotten so difficult – The VergeI’ve got good eyesight and struggle with them. They are putting in barriers to many people.
- Digital exchange loses $137 million as founder takes passwords to the grave | Ars TechnicaOuch. So glad I never got into crypto.
- APOLLO 11 [Official Trailer] – YouTubeThis looks amazing.
- No thank you, Mr. Pecker – Jeff Bezos – MediumBrave post from Bezos, love that he told his investigator to proceed with whatever budget he needed to pursue the facts in this matter. Bond villian?
- Death and Valor on an American Warship Doomed by its Own NavyScathing report on what went wrong with the USS Fitzgerald.
- Pressure grows to oust Christopher Chope after FGM law blocked | Society | The GuardianTotal abuse of position. More annoying was the token quotes from Tories saying they were disappointed…do something about it!!!
- It’s the Real World—With Google Maps Layered on Top – WSJLove a map story.
- The Friendship Files: The Great British Bake Off’s Selasi and Val – The AtlanticBest thing about GBBO isn’t the bakes but the real warmth that the contestants have. Great read.
- The British-Irish Dialect Quiz – The New York TimesThe quiz worked for me – how about you?
- This Comic About NASA’s Mars Rover Will Make You Sad, And Then Incredibly ProudA few years old but seems apt given the news that Curiosity is finally dead.
- It’s almost impossible to function without the big five tech giants | John Naughton | Opinion | The GuardianThey are becoming impossible to live without. Is that good for us?
- The Secret History of Women in Coding – The New York TimesThinking about this a lot recently – great writing explaining what went wrong.